Here are some readings I have come across on my own or in orientations that may be helpful for new faculty or anyone new to teaching:
- What the Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain
- Advice for New Faculty Members by Robert Boice
- The Tomorrow’s Professor Blog has numerous posts related to academic life.
- How People Learn by John Bransford and others is the de facto textbook on learning and the learning sciences, and can be freely read online. How Students Learn is a more applied sequel to the book.
- Then there are some of the standard texts related to teaching such as: Models of Teaching, Classroom Assessment Techniques, and Introduction to Rubrics
Dr. Nuhfer of California State has even started a bootcamp for professors that incorporates some of the above readings as well as others.